Our Pledge Regarding Medical Information
We understand that medical information about you and your health is personal. We are committed to protecting medical information about you. We create a record of the care and services you receive at Kittitas Valley Healthcare. We need this record to provide you with quality care and to comply with certain legal requirements. This notice applies to all of the records of your care generated by Kittitas Valley Healthcare.
This Notice will tell you about the ways in which we may use and disclose medical information about you. We also describe your rights and certain obligations we have regarding the use and disclosure of medical information.
- KVH is required by law to protect the privacy of its patients. It will keep confidential any and all patient healthcare information and follow privacy practices that are described in this Notice.
- Your protected healthcare information (PHI) may be released to other healthcare professionals for the purpose of providing you with quality healthcare.
- Your PHI may be released to your insurance provider for the purpose of the hospital receiving payment for providing you with needed healthcare services
- Your PHI may be released to public or law enforcement officials in the event of an investigation in which you are a victim of abuse, a crime, or domestic violence.
- Your PHI may be used or shared for health research.
- Your PHI may be released to other healthcare providers in the event you need emergency care.
- Your PHI may be released to a public health organization or federal organization in the event of a communicable disease or to report a defective device or untoward event to a biological product (food or medication).
- Your PHI may be released only after receiving written authorization from you. You may revoke your permission to release confidential healthcare information at any time.
- Your legal guardian or designated medical power of attorney may exercise your rights and make choices about your PHI. We will make sure the person has this authority before we take any action.
- You may be contacted by the hospital to remind you of any appointments, healthcare treatment options or other health services that may be of interest to you.
- You may be contacted by the hospital for the purposes of raising funds to support the hospital’s operations; you also have the right to “opt out” of any fundraising communications.
- You have the right to restrict the use of PHI. However, the hospital may choose to refuse your restriction if it is in conflict of providing you with quality healthcare or in the event of an emergency situation.
- You have the right to receive confidential communication about your health status
- You have the right to inspect and receive copies of your PHI (for which you may be charged a fee), and to request an electronic version of your health record.
- Your PHI will not be used for marketing purposes without your written authorization.
- You have the right to request an amendment to your PHI.
- You have the right to know who has accessed your PHI and for what purpose.
- You have the right to be notified following a breach of unsecured PHI.
- You have the right to possess a copy of the Notice of Privacy Practices upon request.
- KVH reserves the right to make changes to this Notice.
- You have the right to file a complaint if you are concerned that your rights to privacy have been violated.
This notice is effective as of 9/23/2013.